What Interview Questions Are Illegal?
When interviewing potential employees, it is important to be aware of the questions that are illegal to ask. Asking illegal interview questions can lead to legal problems for your company, so it is important to avoid them.
Some of the most common illegal interview questions include:
- Questions about race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or marital status.
- Questions about pregnancy or family plans.
- Questions about political affiliation or beliefs.
- Questions about sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Questions about criminal history.
- Questions about credit history.
- Questions about salary history.
It is important to note that not all questions about these topics are illegal. For example, it is generally permissible to ask about a candidate’s ability to perform the job duties, even if those duties require the candidate to interact with people of different races, religions, or cultures. However, it is not permissible to ask questions that are designed to discriminate against a candidate based on their race, religion, or other protected characteristic.
If you are unsure whether a question is illegal, it is always best to err on the side of caution and not ask it. You can also consult with an employment lawyer to get specific advice on the laws that apply to your company.
How to Avoid Illegal Interview Questions
There are a few things you can do to avoid asking illegal interview questions:
- Be clear about the purpose of the interview. Let the candidate know that the interview is to assess their qualifications for the job, and that you will not ask any questions that are not relevant to the job.
- Stick to job-related questions. Only ask questions that are directly related to the candidate’s ability to do the job.
- Avoid questions that could be perceived as discriminatory. If you are unsure whether a question is appropriate, err on the side of caution and don’t ask it.
- Be respectful and professional. Treat the candidate with respect throughout the interview process.
By following these tips, you can help to ensure that your company does not violate the law by asking illegal interview questions.
Asking illegal interview questions can lead to legal problems for your company. By following the tips in this blog post, you can help to ensure that your company does not violate the law.