The Difference between an International and Domestic Background Check
Businesses around the world are committed to protecting the people, resources and information associated with their company and clients. That includes hiring the best available employees (and contractors) that are fully screened. With the “ban the box’ legislation being passed in the U.S. and similar protocols in other countries, the safest way a company can reduce its liability while protecting employee rights is by using a reliable background checking process. A process that can be used domestically or internationally.
Here are several factors to consider when choosing a company to support your pre-employment screening process:
- Is the information accurate and reliable? Does the screening company use verified and trusted sources for the information they receive regarding a potential employee’s or contractor’s background?
- How quick is the turnaround and what level of involvement is required for the client?
- Is the process able to be tracked online and with verified results?
- Can you as the client, and your potential employee or contractor have confidence that their privacy is secure throughout the background and investigative process?
- What’s the cost? Are there any additional fees? Is the return on investment for the services self-evident?
These are just a sample of the questions that you should ask your background and screening provider when researching a Consumer Reporting Agency (CRA). When researching for an international pre-employment screening company, the above questions are still important, but there are a few others that should be considered:
- What, if any, additional information will you need from the prospective employee or contractor to do a thorough search in the country of inquiry?
- Do you check directly with previously listed employees, licensing organizations, education institution, or just use a broad check?
- What is the turnaround time for the country of inquiry? Can you check multiple countries at the same time, or for one set cost?
- Is the background/screening company a member of any CRA (Consumer Reporting Agency) associations that promote fair and accurate reporting, such as Concerned CRAs, or the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Safe Harbor Program?
Many organizations are foreseeing increased growth in overseas operations and the hiring of employees who have not previously resided in the United States.
An advantage to companies in need of international background checks in today’s market is that most international screening can take place in less than two weeks, compared to the 45-90 days for data turnaround just a few years ago. While there are always exceptions, results will normally follow inquiry within 8-16 days.
If you are ready to partner with an accurate, reliable, and ethical Consumer Reporting Agency, give us an opportunity to discuss your needs with a free consultation. Accurate Information Systems can meet your needs, and we will deliver them to you with a quick and accurate turnaround.